Sunday, March 4, 2012

[personal] a week in the life of...

We are learning a new rhythm of life, Adam and I. He accepted a job almost a month ago and has been on a consistent work schedule for three weeks now. And I like routine. I like knowing when I can make plans and I really don't mind packing him lunches (and including cute notes like my Mama always did when I was in school). And I really like making my body into a huge "x" that takes up the entire bed after he leaves (I love you, hunny!). But this transition still has us tired, and we've spent most of the past weeknights counting down the hours until bedtime.

And I've grown tired of the snow (and the slide-outs: eeks!). I am ready for warmth. For regeneration. For growth. My orchid is perched on the window-seat by my computer, and I can't help but imagine its blooms too are waiting for spring before coming out of its cozy shell. Even more, I am ready for my soul to feel spring. To be clean and bright and new. To flourish in the growth experienced during dormancy.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm calling on John Newton (yes, the hymnist from the 1700s) to wrap this up (we're kind of friends~ with my love for anything written and English and all...).

Winter and spring have each their use,
And each, in turn, his people know;
One kills the weeds their hearts produce,
The other makes their graces grow.

Though like dead trees awhile they seem,
Yet having life within their root,
The welcome spring's reviving beam
Draws forth their blossoms, leaves, and fruit.

But if the tree indeed be dead,
It feels no change, though spring return,
Its leafless naked, barren head,
Proclaims it only fit to burn.

Dear Lord, afford our souls a spring,
Thou know'st our winter has been long;
Shine forth, and warm our hearts to sing,
And thy rich grace shall be our song.



stars of the show:

princess phara is definitely more of adam's kitty than mine. but i guess that week of him away, must've meant bonding time for her and me~ because she was allll over instagram this week.
baby everett. i wonder when i'll have to stop calling him that. any niece or nephew (son or daughter) can always be babies when there's a 22 year age gap, right?
my eldest nephew on a special night with us. when i watch the boys on tuesday, we only get to spend one hour together, so it was a special treat to have him for dinner, video games, and DQ. i think adam liked it to because, "oh my gosh, soft shells are your favorite too!" "m&ms blizzards are the best. yeah, i agree." "adam, will you beat this part? you're so good at it!" "me and uncle adam are like, the same."

points of interest:

after my boudoir shoot on tuesday, i stopped into subway (i've gone almost a year without ordering fast food [mcdonalds, wendy's, burger king]), and HOLLA~ sub of the day was my favorite. free cookie? yes, please.
one of my personal highlights of the week was an evening thunderstorm. oh, we've had rain lately, but not thunder. we lit candles. we snuggled. we romanced. the night was beautiful. and then the snow came again the next day. *sigh*
adam and i went to see the woman in black last night for date night. my choice (it was either going to be safe house, big miracle, or the woman in black). i am not a horror fan. or a suspense fan. i'm plain and simple: a harry potter fan and a period-drama fan. those two elements prompted me to choose the woman in black (adam didn't mind; he likes scary movies). i gasped. i screamed. OUT LOUD. and i'm pretty sure i dramatically threw popcorn in the air at one point too.
the picture strip (one of my favorite "oh-my-gosh-adam-we-have-to-do-this!" things) represents our imitation of the woman in black, being scared out of our wits, being sweet, and one of each of our signature "picture" looks.

Photobucket
*(Instagram is a free app for iPhones that features various filters that are easy-to-use and make posting to Twitter, Facebook, and ha, my blog, easy-peasy! You can follow me @ bgilsonburnett)


Sweet baby Charlie will be making his blog debut this week~ and oh.my.land, he is precious. And he has a beautiful, miracle of a birth story.

I'm feeling a bubble bath and The Lucky One (I made had Adam watch the trailer twice tonight in two different versions~ to get us ready for a date night this spring). I wish I were fancy enough to say that I'd cork open some bubbly and eat something delicate like chocolate covered strawberries, but to be honest, Adam and I already devoured half a pan of brownies I made less than 24 hours ago and a glass of ice-cold water is gonna have to suffice. :) Goodnight, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment